Friday, March 30, 2018

Mug Rugs

Whatever happened to the old-style coffee mugs that one could buy in a college bookstore or military museum? I’m sure you could buy them in other shops, but that is where I would buy mine.

I currently have five. I used to have six, but one had a catastrophic accident with a cup of hot coffee. The mug survived with minimal injuries; the rug did not.

The first one I bought was from my undergraduate school, Washington & Jefferson College.


 The only other school mug rugs I have are The Citadel in South Carolina and Williams College in Massachusetts. I toured the former when I went to Charleston on vacation. I stopped and walked Williams’ campus on my way to Ft. Devens to retire from the Army.




 I have two military rugs: U.S. Army and the Screaming Eagles, which is the 101st Air Assault Division but is better known as the 101st Airborne of World War II fame. The rug that had the fatal accident was from the 82nd Airborne Division.





The only mug rugs now are quilted and knitted. I don’t like them. And I wouldn’t use them in an Army office unless that is if they were made by one of my daughters.




(TNR 12)



No comments:

Post a Comment