Saturday, March 24, 2018

An Interrobang and a New Fishing Pole

One day awhile back, I was writing something that I was excited about and wrote it as a question. So I did what I normally did when that happened, I put a question mark ? and an exclamation point ! at the end of the sentence.

Then I stopped and began to wonder if there was a punctuation mark that combined the two. Sure enough, there was. It is called an Interrobang.


It was invented in 1962 by Martin Speckter, an American who ran an advertising agency. He thought it would look nice in ads that used surprised rhetorical questions. After asking for names for this new punctuation mark, he settled on Interrobang.

Interrogatio is Latin for “rhetorical question” and bang is printers’ slang for the exclamation mark. It subsequently got included into several fonts and word processing programs. The easiest one I found is in the Wingdings 2 font, pressing the ] key. 

You may read more about this interesting font as well as other ways to find it with other fonts on Wikipedia, from which I got most of my information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrobang.

 Our wooden bear figurine has needed a new fishing pole for some time. My wife bought this one for 68 cents; it was poplar wood. It warped very quickly.



I went to Lowe’s and bought an oak one for $1.68. It should last almost a year.



All the critters look happy now. Snow tonight]





(Lucida Sans Unicode 12)

No comments:

Post a Comment