Monday, March 5, 2018

Another Journey Around My Room

My father had 8 brothers and five sisters growing up. By the time my brother and I had come along, the war (WWII) was over, they had all grown up, and most moved away from our town. So any visit to our relatives usually involved a drive of about three hours or so.

One of our favorite uncles lived in Ohio near Canton. I remember we would go there regularly. It took about three hours. It seemed that we went at least a couple of times a year. My brother and I enjoyed it because we had three cousins we could play with; one boy and two girls. The boy was the oldest and the same age as my brother.

One summer we spent a week with them. Pop and Mom came up to visit and dropped us off. I don’t remember how we got back, but I suspect our uncle brought us back so he could visit his mother, our grandmother, who lived in a town near us.

While we were there that week, two major things happened that I remember. One was going to church. We had gone to church regularly growing up, but at the time, I was going into eighth grade, and it seems we had stopped for some reason. Anyhow, we went to our uncle’s Baptist church – we were Presbyterian – twice.

And the second time we went we were baptized. Now we had already been baptized Presbyterian, but that didn’t matter to us. The minister scared us into thinking we had to be baptized as Baptists to be saved. So we did!

The other thing that happened was we learned to ride bicycles. It was great fun. Our cousin already knew how so he taught us. When we got home we naturally asked for bikes for Christmas. And we got them – two bright red ones!

I think of those trips to Ohio and learning to ride bikes and getting baptized whenever I look at the carvings my uncle made me. 





I was an adult when he gave me these, but it doesn’t matter. When I look at them, I am still fourteen and it’s a hot summer day in August in Ohio.




(Georgia 13)

No comments:

Post a Comment