Thursday, May 16, 2024

Writing and a Book Review

 I reviewed a few pages of the book I'm writing and made some corrections. I will probably make some more as I begin to write more seriously. At this point, they were only ink changes on the printout. I did not make them on the saved copy on the laptop. 

I finished the library book I've been reading for the past few days. The title is The Midnight Library by Matt Haig.


It was an interesting read. It's essentially about a young woman, Nora, who is very depressed with her life so she visits her old high school librarian who is working in this special library that contains books on alternative choices to one's life, allowing that person to go live that alternative life to see if they would like it better. But this all must be done just a few minutes before midnight, otherwise the person will die.

Getting past this strange premise, Nora tries several of her past alternatives but finds none that she likes. Getting ever closer to midnight - the seconds are ticking down and we are now under a minute - she finally finds one she likes. But because of things she can't control and I'm not clear about, Nora almost dies. In the end, she is saved by (secret) and comes to realize that maybe life is okay as is.

I like the book but I'd read it again if I wanted to really understand it. I would look into the philosophy behind it in more detail. But I am going to see if I can apply a few things to my life.

Probably no blog tomorrow - traveling to PA for Sabrina's wedding. I will attempt to write when we return on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment