Friday, February 9, 2018

"The End" of My Colonoscopy Day

Since I was diabetic I got an early appointment. My wife drove me up and we went through a quick registration, then onto the second floor where everything was to happen. A very nice older lady volunteer, who I tried to recruit for the library, helped us. 

A nurse came and guided us to the prep room. It was prettily decorated because it used to be the birther room when the hospital. Being a relatively small town, the Stonewall Jackson Hospital just does relatively small general surgeries. Anything more complicated or serious than appendectomies, gallbladder removals, and tonsillectomies are done in larger hospitals about 35-50 miles away.

Once in the prep room, they put in my IV, took my blood pressure, told me about the anesthesia, and generally let me know everything that was to happen. The nurse that did my IV was particularly good. She got it on the first try in my hand no less! I had been told when I made my appointment that to help find my veins – I am what they call a “hard stick”, meaning my veins are hard to find – I should keep my arms and hands warm. I wore a long sleeve flannel shirt to the hospital. When I was in the prep room, they wrapped my arm and hand in an electric blanket.

About 8 o’clock, the doctor came in, introduced himself and again went over everything with me. He was very personable. I had chosen him because several of my friends had recommended him. Once he left, the operating room nurse came and took me down to the OR. The anesthesiologist actually did the pushing of the bed.

When I got in the room, two other nurses were waiting. They introduced themselves and hooked up the anesthesia in my nose. As I was talking to the OR Nurse about her name I fell asleep. I woke up about 25 minutes later, which actually felt like no time. I was in post-op.

The post-op nurse kept checking my blood pressure and talking to me as the drowsiness went away. I felt fine except for some cramping that slowly got worse. I was told it was the gas that was used in the procedure and that it was okay to burp and “pass the gas”. They didn’t mind and were used to it.

After about 15 minutes, I was taken out by wheelchair to the front where my wife was waiting with the car. From there we went to our favorite breakfast restaurant, Nikos’, and ate a GREAT breakfast!

For the rest of the day, I rested, passed gas, and relaxed. Oh, by the way, the doctor had said that the prep was excellent. Now, I have something to look forward to in five years. 



(Cambria 13 font)

No comments:

Post a Comment