Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Fonts, Fonts, and More Fonts

If you have been following my blog, or even if you have just recently stumbled across it, you have probably noticed I usually write the name of the font I am using for that day. That's because I love different fonts and I love experimenting with them. What follows is something I wrote back before Christmas. Just for fun. I hope you enjoy it.

Today’s writing topic is an exercise in fonts.  Not one in particular, just choosing down the list.  I am reading a book about fonts, “Just My Type”, by Simon Garfield.  I enjoy reading what kind of font was chosen for a particular book, but not all publishers put that information in the book.  It’s like making Art Deco in a way.  

This one is called AR CARTER.  I’m not sure that I am going to experiment with a different font always, but know that if I use one of the smaller fonts, I’ll have to write more.  And it will be more difficult to read.  It’s interesting that most of the first fonts are darker print.  Until one gets used to a font, it takes awhile to get used to reading it (and did you notice that this font is lighter just as I made a comment about it.

Using these fonts to make signs, posters, and the like – this one is in all caps making it very nice for posters, etc,  Personally, I have not seen a particular font that has really grabbed me yet.  Maybe once I get out of the AR series.  

What could I use this one for except something comical or light-hearted?  It might be interesting to find a font that I could write a different chapter for a novel.  

Ah, Good old Arial, I remember you!  And your more emphatic sister.  I don’t think I’ve ever used the Arial narrow version and not sure I like it.  Another thing I have noticed about different fonts is that some are more difficult than others to read, while others are very much easier to read.  That would definitely be something to remember when writing my book (I like this Book Antiqua!).  

Some fonts are definitely more serious looking than others.  The previously font was symbol-driven and this one is very very light.  Calibri – this is another standby for many.  And it’s light version.  Cambria is another common font many people use.  Cambria math doesn’t really look much different.  

Candara is very chiseled looking to me.  And Century is another standby font.  Century Gothic now looks like Century on a diet.  And of course, one of the very most popular, Comic Sans MS.  Consolas sounds like a Spanish font, doesn’t it?  

Constantia must be a Turkish font, don’t you think?  Corbel is delicate looking and hard to read because of the closeness of the letters.  Courier New is an old favorite when I began to work on computers.

Ebrima – what no fonts beginning with the letter d?  And only one that began with E; this is Franklin Gothic Medium.  If I wanted to pretend I was writing I could use Freestyle Script.  Or maybe French Script MT; this is with no slant like I write sometimes!  I just read something about Gabriola font today – was it in the Simon Garfield book?  

Gadugi – this has been the font I have been using each day prior to today.  Garamond is such a neat looking font but would need to be larger.  And Georgia is the last of the fonts I’m going to play with today.

No comments:

Post a Comment