Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Another Cold Weather Miscellany

Yep, it’s another cold day. But we’re better off than the Northeast. There is supposed to be snow on the way, but ours is forecasted for a rain event. Let’s hope so. We do need the rain; until recently, we have been under a very severe drought.

I have a colonoscopy scheduled for Thursday. Today I began the first of a two-day prep. So far, so good, except I spend an awful lot time going forth and back to the bathroom. No solid foods are allowed, just liquids and ices, Jello, and popsicles. I’m already craving a Whopper burger!

I am waiting for my copy of the latest Charles Todd mystery with Inspector Rutledge. It was released today. I had pre-ordered it, so it should be here by the end of the week. The title is “The Gatekeepers”. One of the things I like about this series, besides the English location, a timeframe of post-WW1, and the Scotland Yard Inspector himself, is that every year when it comes out about this time – I think this is #20 – in the story, it is only another month. Rutledge will never get old!

While that book is coming, I began this afternoon another fiction novel by Charles Finch. He writes a series about a Victorian private investigator who is also a member of Parliament named Charles Lennox. I enjoy the series very much but am two behind because the library doesn’t have them yet.

This current one is a stand-alone about a young American who is a Yale graduate who goes to Oxford for a year, and encounters different persons and experiences that what he has been exposed to in America. The author graduated from Yale and Oxford, so there may be some biographical commonality, but he doesn’t say so. It’s written in the first person so it makes it very natural if it is.

I missed writing yesterday because I was out most of the day, then had things to do at home in the evening. I was able to blog only because I was ahead in my writing. I am going to try to keep ahead so I don’t have another “Writer’s Block” day.

The back pain is manageable today. I sometimes think there is no rhyme or reason for when it will be better or worse. 


(Cambria 13 font)

No comments:

Post a Comment