Sunday, February 25, 2018

No More Library Books...Right!

I have thought about this for some time. Yet, every time I decide to do it, a book comes in the library and I take it out, begin to read it, and disrupt my current reading. Every time. And once my reading is disrupted, it seems it takes me a couple of days before I can get back on track. Why would this disrupt my reading, you ask?

Plain and simple, reading my books have my own applied time schedule on them. I can decide if a book needs to have a time schedule placed on it or not. Other than maybe the monthly book group selection, none of my other books usually have any time constraints on them. 

That‘s not true for the library books. If it is a new book or even an older book that the library has ordered a new copy and I see it come in, then I only have two weeks in which to read it. And that is not really enough time considering what I am usually reading.

The downside of this is that I will lose out on very good new books that are published. I understand that and will have to live with it. But I can also be smart about it and still make an exception now and then if I abide by a few rules. 

One, if I know a book is coming out ahead of time, then I can clean my current reading list down. Instead of having 3 or 4 books going at one time, then maybe only 2, or even 1 if I am really efficient. 

Two, the library book then becomes a “required reading” daily with a certain minimum pages to be read each and every day. 

And third, I don’t saddle myself with more than one library book at a time. That includes any library book, whether it a two-week new book, or if it is a normal four-week return. It doesn’t matter because I have seen the latter mess up my reading just as easy as a new book.

Of course, at the root of this whole problem, and it is certainly a problem, is that I have so many books that I have not yet read. And I need to get started seriously on reading them. 

More seriously, that is, than I have been in the past.

Well, here’s wishing me luck…



(Book Antiqua 12)

No comments:

Post a Comment