Friday, January 12, 2018

Watching Early Morning Ads on TV

At my age, I get up early. I can't sleep more than five or so hours. Usually, I rise about 4:00 am and go out to feed Allie, our black and white "rescue" cat (another story), make a cup of Keurig coffee and sit with the cat to watch early news. One of the things I really enjoy watching are the ads for all kinds of things. I'm reminded of an episode of the show "Home Improvement" starring Tim Allen. He couldn't sleep so he would wake up and watch TV. When he saw these ads on TV he couldn't help himself. He would order whatever they were selling. And he would order it again the next time he saw the ad!

          Anyhow, I haven't yet ordered anything though I've seen some things that might be nice. What I enjoy watching most is the actors playing the parts and their reactions - both before they have the item being sold and then after they get it. I guess the ad agencies think that if we can't see the difference between before-and-after that we will miss the point of having the item being pitched. Their actions are exaggerated to a silly degree. I have a couple of favorites.

          My favorite is when a couple is eating dinner and the lights go out. Next, you see the man trying to hold a flashlight with his chin and shoulder and dropping it almost into his pasta. His wife, meanwhile, is frantically waving her hands and arms around and mouthing things at him, and both are shaking their heads in complete frustration. Instead, the ad shows a power lantern that can give a powerful enough light for over two miles, sits like a table light and makes dinner so easy, you just have to have one of these. Now when the light goes out, the couple was just sitting there with the light and were prepared and are so happy...

          The other ad I love to watch is when a couple is trying to hang a motion light on the front of the garage and the man is totally uncoordinated with the wiring as tries to hang it. Again, the wife is adding to the confusion by again waving her hands and arms and verbaling (I assume) accosting her husband for being such a dufus. Scene changes and now you see the wife - I guess it is to show how easy a woman can do it - reaching above the garage door and simply by applying some pressure a square-shaped light sticks to the brick - or wood. Of course, maybe the woman was watching early morning TV and saw the ad and just ordered the light to surprise her dotard of a husband. There is another one about night lights where a man is carrying out a garbage bag when he trips and falls into the trash can, knocking him and it to the ground. I love it!

          Try watching ads the next time you can't sleep!


No comments:

Post a Comment