Tuesday, January 30, 2018

My Sports Career

I always loved sports. I enjoyed playing football, basketball, and especially baseball when I was young. Unfortunately, it was always by myself or my younger brother. We had no nearby friends that we could play with except when special arrangements were made. It was just easier to play alone. I enjoyed playing, especially baseball. I had no delusions that I was very good, but I knew I was okay or average. I could play on a team if we had one. But we didn’t.

When I went to high school, some of my friends were going out for wrestling. Not being big enough for football, and besides, it conflicted with the band, I decided to try out for wrestling. I spent a season on the freshman wrestling team. I was at 112 pounds, but I had to move to the 120 lb weight so that the upcoming state champion would be wrestling at 103 lbs. Don’t ask. It was very confusing.

I wasn’t very good. In fact, I never wrestled in a match. But I always went to practice and matches. I finished the season. I wasn’t a quitter. And I guess that was the point. I did enjoy gym when I was allowed to do the high jump. I was good at it. I didn’t like playing basketball which we played all the time. It was easy for the gym teachers to organize and control. My problem was simple. I could shout fine. I could dribble. I just couldn’t dribble and move own the court at the same time. I had to watch either the ball or the court. I sucked. Gym didn’t have baseball. I don’t know why I never tried out for baseball.

Of course, college was all about ROTC and getting my degree and commission. One I was in the army I was always worried about passing the Annual Physical Fitness Exam. It originally contained a mix of regular exercises with military – type events. In addition to the run, pushups, and overhead bars, we had the grenade throw and the Run, Dodge, Jump. I always passed everything except the bars. I really had no overhead strength.

In 1978, at Ft. Leavenworth, I failed the PT Test. By then, it was only a one-mile run, push-ups, and sit-ups. I failed the run. I was overweight and I smoked. I went home that day and ran a mile on my own. Three days later I stopped smoking. Eight weeks later, I passed my PT Test, including the run.

I began running seriously then and eventually ran 11 marathons, a couple of ultramarathons. I ran many shorter races. I was always better at longer and slower races than the speedier ones.

I stopped running in 2004 and began walking. I am an off-and-on walker now, mostly off. I need to get back to walking…and maybe to run again.


(Gadugi 11 font)

No comments:

Post a Comment