Monday, January 1, 2018

Is It Time For Resolutions Again?

Every year at this time I sit at my desk and write my resolutions for the coming year. This year I said I was not going to do it. Why should I? I never really try to follow them. If I happen to accomplish one it’s only because of luck. But yet, year after year, I sit and either write them down in one of my many notebooks or more recently, type them into my Smartphone. At the end of the year I review them, and without exception, I fall short. Very short. This year I am going to try something different.

          I was reading a favorite blog that I follow called “Far Side of Fifty”. She said she chooses a word for the year. Then she tries to follow that word in as many different directions as she can come up with. Her word for 2018 is “Explore”. She gave examples. It sounded like something I might have better success with than the lists I have been dealing with year after year. But I do have another alternative that I was going to work with before I saw Far Side’s idea. It is similar to hers but goes a little further. That may or not be good.

          I was going to come up with several words, action verbs mainly, that would help motivate me in different directions. I had already come up with the first word. INERTIA. This would be a motivator for many things that I have put off for days, months, and longer. Believe me, there are many. I have used it briefly for a few weeks when I am sitting in my Lazy Boy chair and finished reading, but haven’t decided what to do next. So I just sit there; or, play with my phone. When I realize what I am doing, I say “Inertia” aloud and get out of the chair. It seems to work.

          I’m going to come up with a few other words that can fit a variety of circumstances. One for sure will be DISCIPLINE. Another, closely linked, with be MOTIVATION. I will be able to use these in many areas.


It will be interesting to see how this works. I’ll let you know later. (BTW, Today's font is Tahoma 12)



No comments:

Post a Comment