Thursday, November 26, 2020

Thanksgiving 2020

Thanksgiving 2020. We'll be home this year. In some ways, it's not much different from past years. For the past several years Lisa has often worked on Thanksgiving, or the day before and/or after which makes long trips difficult or impossible. All three daughters are distant. And they don't come here.

Because of COVID, this year Lisa is not working extra. She will have one client on Friday and another on Sunday. The one on Friday should be okay; the couple is spending it home away from their children and grandchildren. The Sunday client is a different situation.

Sunday's client is a man in his 90's, alone, but ten children and some grandchildren will be coming for holiday dinner. Fortunately, Lisa won't have to be there until Sunday, but still, that's a lot of people to have around him. She's not fond of going to his home after only three days, but there's not much she can do. I don't like it either.

Other than COVID, however, it is a rather normal turkey day. I began the day, as usual, taking my insulin, having coffee, and watching the news until it got light outside. Then I went for my walk.

I have tried to either run or walk on Thanksgiving morning since 1978. I began running in January of that year. I never ran in those "turkey trot" races; I just ran by myself. Once I stopped running and switched to walking I kept up the practice of going out every Thanksgiving Thursday. Even when my exercise routine was almost nonexistent. I exercised every Thanksgiving morning. No matter what the weather, I went out. Today was sunny and about 55 degrees. I have gone out in rainstorms, snowstorms, below zero weather. No matter what, I went out.

42 years so far. Not bad for a streak. 

No comments:

Post a Comment