Thursday, November 12, 2020

Reading Matters (n.)

I've been off on my reading for the past couple of weeks. I am catching up slowly. You can see from the photo at the left what I am currently attempting. We'll see how it goes. The one fiction book, The Woman in White, is a longish read and will probably take another one to two months. That's okay because it is easy to stop at various points without losing the train of the story. The "book club" book is rather depressing; it's about the writer's mother and how she fighting, or rather living with, the cancer in her body. It does talk about books that they read. Or more precisely, books they have read in his youth.

On another reading front, we finished the year in our book club and are now selecting books and the monthly reading order. I haven't chosen my book yet; my list is down to 15 candidates. It was only 14 yesterday, but I passed one of bookcase and a book just called out to me, saying, "Add me, add me...', so I did. I sent out an email to the other members to help me choose and have heard back from a couple. Ultimately, though, I know I will have to decide. I set a deadline of November 30th.

Before we broke the meeting I brought up the idea of starting a mystery book club. I said that it did not necessarily have to meet monthly, but may every other; or possibly quarterly. So far I have three others who are interested. I would like to keep it smallish - say 6 to 8 members. We'll see.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment