Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Two Pleasant Surprises

Today I had to take my wife to the doctor and wait for her. Instead of taking the Kate Atkinson novel, I decided to try and get into one of the other books I have listed as "currently reading" in Goodreads. I really only had read the introduction. It is "Pale Rider" by Laura Spinney and it's about the 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic.



It begins with discussing how viruses start, who or what carries them, and how they transform and mutate. I am finding this intensely interesting. It may become a candidate for future book club selection.

The second surprise is even better. We dropped by the ABC store before going to Wegman's for our shopping that we normally do when we go to Charlottesville for doctor visits (Now that we live in Stuart's Draft it only takes us about 35 minutes instead of 1 1/2 hours.) I was looking for my Blanton's bourbon, but the store didn't have it. What it did have was Bunnahabhain 12-year-old, one of two favorite single malt whiskies. But this had a different design on the label.


It said it was a "Small Batch Distilled" and matured in sherry, bourbon, and whisky casks. The ABV was 46.3%, higher than the normal 43%. I could definitely taste the vanilla notes. It was so much smoother than the original.

And the real surprise is that this has been around since 2010! I guess it just became available in the USA within the last year. I certainly haven't seen it before 2018.

All in all, a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment