Monday, June 4, 2018

Volunteering and Moving and Skyping

Today was spent doing several things that took me into the past, the present, and the future.

First, the past. This morning I had that Skype call with the high school student in Pennsylvania (Did I tell you about that?). She is a rising junior and doing a paper on Vietnam for her AP History course. Actually, the whole class is doing the same thing. How I got involved was that the student went to her librarian for help. The librarian happened to be a childhood friend of my oldest daughter, Kim. So she called Kim, and Kim called me, and Melissa called me to set it up.

The student called from the school's library resource room. She had a list of questions that the librarian, Melissa, had very generally gone over with me beforehand so I could prepare. I think it went well enough; the student seemed very happy. 

But I think she would have done better with an enlisted veteran who was drafted and got out of the military after his Vietnam tour was over. I couldn't give the right perspective to her on those questions, and there were several. Anyhow, I hope she writes it up from a different perspective from what she originally wanted.

Next, the future. Later this morning I spent time on the phone arranging for moving companies to come to look at our stuff and give us an estimate. I've contacted two and may call one more.

Last, the present. I went to the library this afternoon for my weekly volunteering. I worked on the CREW (Continous Review Evaluating and Weeding) process, identifying books that will get pulled from the shelves. I did take some time to go into the back room and see how bad it looked - I had heard we had gotten inundated with donations earlier.



And you can't see all of them! We have a monthly book sale beginning this Thursday, but these books will not make it through the process in time. It always gets bad this time of year.

It seems everyone is moving right now. Like us...

No comments:

Post a Comment