Sunday, June 14, 2020

Sports - As a spectator and a Participant

Talking to my brother this morning via our weekly Skype call, I mentioned that live golf had returned to TV this weekend. As I talked about it, Jerry told me that he knew basically nothing about golf. I reminded myself that he wanted to play football in high school, but developed hay fever so bad he had to take shots. He got into music instead which turned out, I think for him, much better.

I asked him if he followed or played any sports; of course, I forgot he was and still is to an extent, a cyclist. He actually worked in a bike shop and became the store manager (of course, he did) before he retired from that career. He still follows the sport religiously.

I followed the Tour de France during the late eighties and nineties with Greg Lamond and up through the Lance Armstrong era. I even had a nice Peugeot six-speed when I was in the Army and stationed in Kansas. But after getting into running in 1978, and crashing quite spectacularly going downhill - without a helmet - I more or less gave it up. I found I was better at running anyway and enjoyed it more.

I eventually sold the bike as I did with my golf clubs - three times. But that's another story.

2 comments:

  1. The real reason that I didn't go into football was when you told me that at 105 lbs. I would be squashed by the other players. But yes, it was a good decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That too. I was trying to be kind online.

    ReplyDelete