Friday, June 19, 2020

From Malcolm to Ian

This week I decided to get back to my writing; my novel that is. So I dug out my notebook I used in July 1993. 27 years ago. So sue me. I had writer's block.




I had actually begun making notes about a WW2 mystery involving Rudolf Hess, Nazis, and conspiracy. Why did he make his flight to England in 1941? They say, "write about what you know". Well, at that time I was heavily into researching everything about Hess. And archaeology. Why not add some Indiana Jones?

Who was going to be my main character? Since Hess crashed in Scotland (near Glasgow actually) I decided that the hero of the book would be Malcolm Kincaid.



And why "From Malcolm to Ian? 

Simple. When I began writing again this year, I started over. Completely over. About a man who owned a store consisting of old books, globes, and maps in the New York Catskills. He was an Army veteran, widowed, and had a grown daughter, and a border collie. 

And he liked single malt scotch whiskies. You see his ancestry on his father's side was Scottish, whose family owned a distillery. Hence, I named him Ian Kincaid, completely forgetting about Malcolm until I pulled the notebook out this week!

Long story short, I am staying with Ian and the Catskills. I've moved on - at least for now - from Hess and WW2. But who knows, maybe someone will show up at his store with a flight map of Hess's route to England on that fateful night in May 1941.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment