Tuesday, December 1, 2020

A New Way of Daily Reading

 I've been trying to come up with a more efficient way of reading my fiction than heretofore. I had been saving my fiction until the evening. That gave me the ability to read six nonfiction - two/day - in rotation during the day. But this meant that any lengthy fiction book would consume much of my evening reading. It came t head when I began to read Wilkie Collin's "A Woman in White", a tome of over 600 pages.

I have decided to do is this. I've reduced my day reading to five books; 3 nonfiction and two fiction. On Day 1 I will read NF Book#1 and F Book#1. On Day 2 I will read NF Book#2 and F Book#2. On Day 3 I will read NF Book#3 and return to F Book#1. On Day 4 I will read NF Book#1 and F Book#2. And so on.

Obviously, the key is not to get confused about the reading order. So after I have read for the day, I rearrange my daily currently reading bookstand that sits on my desk, with the books now showing what is to be read the next day on the righthand side of the stand - nearest the soldier standing guard over my treasures!


The advantage this will give me is that I can read a long fiction while still reading shorter ones. It does reduce my reading of nonfiction books, but I am going to attempt to replace that by reading one of nonfiction Easton Press or another living room book in the evenings when I read after dinner. 

A final part of this change to my current reading plan is whenever I get to between 50-100 pages from the end of any book, nonfiction or fiction, I will suspend that day's normal reading plan and concentrate on finishing that book. I've tried this a few times and find myself rewarded for the effort. What will determine when I make the "mad dash to the finish line" will be how difficult or how easy it was up to that point reading the book.

It all sounds likes a solid plan. We'll see how it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment