Thursday, October 31, 2019

Reading - Coincidence, Deja-Vu, or What?

I've been reading a police procedural mystery based in England during the late 1950s. Actually, it is the second of a series. Yesterday my reading took an interesting turn.



As I was reading, I came across several things - not connected to one another - that happened to be either in the current news or was something I was thinking about earlier in the day.

The story mentioned the World Series in that "it was distinctly Americana". Last evening, by chance, the Washington Nationals beat the Houston Astros in Game 7 to become the 2019 World Champions.

Further along in the story, the detective made the comment that he was not expecting a "quid pro quo" about an information exchange with a snitch. Of course, this Latin phrase has been in the front-page news for several months now. And I have not come across it in any of my fiction book readings during that time. It was written in 2005 by the way.

In another conversation, the same detective was talking to an American private investigator and the movie "On the Waterfront" came up. The PI mentions Marlon Brando and Karl Maldon. I had been thinking of that same Jesuit priest that Malden played because someone had told me he (the priest) was in charge of the old labor library at Xavier High School where I worked for 17 years. When the library was closed, most of the old books were of no real value anymore and consequently, faculty were allowed to take a few if they wanted. I took a battered copy of an early "Wealth of Nations" by Adam Smith. I happened to note it yesterday as I scanned my bookshelf earlier that day for another book BEFORE I read the passage.

Finally, back to my mystery - a major part of the plot involves a candidate for the presidency who might be involved with the mafia or other crimes.

I've come across connections before like these examples, just not so many at one sitting that reminds me of something from the daily news or in the case of the labor library, something that happened to me.

And it's Halloween tonight.....!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment