Saturday, October 31, 2020

Harassing a Friend

I've been working with a friend of mine from our book club about choosing books for next year. In the meantime, I've been recommending several good mysteries to him. Below is a typical missive he has been bombarded with these past several days. I only hope our friendship outlasts my obsession!

Dave,

As I was working earlier in my study, I happened to look down at my mystery pile next to my desk. That's' where I keep my stack of mysteries to be read or re-read. On top of the pile was the second of a five-part series by Anne Perry. She's probably most famous for the 18th Century Detective Thomas Pitt mysteries (I've never read them - don't know why), but since WWI is my weakness, I read her series several years ago and now have already re-read the first one, Angels in the Gloom, again. The second, Shoulder the Sky, the title from the English poet A. E. Housman, is beckoning me to read once again. 


Angels is the story of a young man whose parents were just killed in an auto accident that turns out to be murder. While solving the murder, the son - Joseph, an Oxford teacher of religion - discovers a conspiracy that threatens national security. So while the murder is solved in the first book, the conspiracy connects all five books. The story is about his adventures during the war, and those of his younger brother Mathew and younger sister, Judith, while they all get involved in the war and in solving the conspiracy.

I don't know why I didn't recommend this series to you before. It's on a par with CT.

I'll write later about my two French mysteries. Still trying to decide on what to do about the 2021 book selections. You and I are the last ones. Barbara came through today, while Debi gave me a three-choice; she will choose from them and us know early in the coming year so we have plenty of time to get the book. She is scheduled for November. I also have let Vera choose which two months she wants since she is doing two books. (If we had chosen the 2-book CT deal, I would have scheduled them back-to-back as well.)

Anyhow, these emails help me even if they may be slightly bothersome to you. It beats talking to myself.

Stay safe 😷📖

Ron

As you can see, my friend has a lot patience.

1 comment: