Friday, September 11, 2020

Shutters

 I was walking this morning and for the lack of anything else to look at or for, I was noticing the window shutters people have on their house. Of course, window shutters go way back.  I found a terrific article on Wikipedia about them just now and will read it later. I don't want to ruin what I think I know about them already.


First, I am only talking about the outside vertical ones. I know there are inside vertical and horizontal ones, but I'll save that for another day if I stay interested long enough in this topic (Come to think of it, have I ever seen, or is there such a thing as outside horizontal shutters?). 

Anyhow, enough dallying. As I was not saying yet, I noticed a strange thing about the window shutters today; besides being not functional of course. I noticed a few things. 

First, almost all of them were the same length horizontally. It didn't matter how large or small the window was. The vertical length was as long as the window. If the shutters were indeed to be used, many of them would not cover the entire window. The middle part of the window would still be exposed.

Second, most homes I saw today did not have them but only on the front of the house. The side and rear windows did not. I can only assume that was because of monetary reasons. Now some of these windows were such a size or in such a narrow spot of the home that it was impossible to put on shutters. But many were not.

Third, most of them were a brown color (at least from my color-blind perspective). Why?

And lastly, once I began to compare the houses, when I came across a home without shutters it looked out of place. 

I'm going to read up on the subject and will report back. Or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment