Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Old Friends

 I was on Facebook today for the first time in over a month. I decided to try to look up a few people I served with during my Army years. I found two of four.

One, Gene, was a West Pointer who served with me in Fulda, Germany, during my first tour. From 1966 to 1968, we were in the 1st Squadron, 14th Armored Cavalry. He was the Squadron Adjutant and then HHC Commander; or vise versa. I'm not sure, but I think we saw each other very briefly in Vietnam in 1969. It looks like he got out of the military in 1974. He lives in Alabama according to FB.



The other officer, Gary, was actually first a classmate at W&J College. He was one or two years behind me. We were in the Pershing Rifles ROTC drill unit together. I saw him again sometime in the late '70's when I was stationed at Ft. Leavenworth. Gary was there I believe to attend the Army CGSC. It looks like he retired as a colonel and lives in North Carolina.

I also saw on FB today where one of my ex-cadets from Xavier retired yeasterday from the Army after 25 years. John graduated from Xavier in 1991 and went to West Point. I've stayed in touch, more or less, on FB with him. He lives in the Baltimore area.

Feeling a little young and old at the same time today. I'll look for some more.   

2 comments:

  1. You're getting your groove back. Writing about your 'reads' and now about former associates in the Army. I'm glad you're posting more often. It's like going back in time and reading you're earlier posts and....Oh wait...didn't you write about going back in time? Rod Serling would be proud!

    ReplyDelete