Sunday, August 2, 2020

"Prepare to Gird Your Loins"

Recently we were watching the film, The Devil Wears Prada, one of our very favorite movies - though any film with Stanley Tucci is in falls into that category - and Tucci's character is warning that Meryl Streep's character is on the proverbial warpath by saying, "Let's go, everyone, prepare to gird your loins!"

I've often heard the phrase and thought it meant to get ready for a verbal or physical battle of some sort and we would be playing a part. I was close. Dictionary app defines it as

"prepare and strengthen oneself for what is to come"

Looking further, I found this online:

 
So now you know. Pretty cool, yes?

2 comments:

  1. Recipe for Gird up your pork loin roast:
    2 lb. Pork Loin
    Wrap in parchment paper
    Roast at 350 degrees until internal temp. is 145 degrees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only if you are a ham. I prefer to think of myself as a hunk of beef. :)

      Delete