Saturday, January 4, 2020

An Accident and Other Things

Today I lost my favorite whisky crystal glass. It got cracked when it slid into the kitchen sink when drying another item. Fortunately, it didn't break and go into the garbage disposal. Here is a picture of the last time I used it just a few days ago.



I bought it when we went to Scotland in 1996, almost 23 years ago. It was from Dalwhinnie, the first distillery we visited. If you look closely you will see the name "Dalwhinnie" spelled backward on the other side of the glass. I only my single malt whiskys from this glass. Now I have to choose a replacement. I have several, but none quite as good.

I took out a very interesting book about Shakespeare from the library this week. It's about a jubilee that was organized and took place in September 1769, in Stratford-on-Avon, where Shakespeare was born and lived off and on when he wasn't in London. The author writes a little like they talked and wrote back then. Not completely, but just enough to make it an interesting read. Reading the flyleaf, it says that rain washed out most of the festivities. 



I'm three quarters the way through Armageddon. I only read it late at night before I go to bed. It is very much as I remember it. I am just about to the beginning of the Berlin Airlift. I last read it in 1967 when I stationed in Fulda, Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment