Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Golf

I've been thinking about golf a lot lately. I'm not sure why. Maybe because of the time of the year - the Masters was played last month, the PGA Championship is this month, the US Open is in June and the (British) Open will be in July. Maybe it's because what some people call boring, I find soothing and enjoyable to watch. Maybe because of all the beautiful locations. And maybe l just like to see players I like.

I started to play in 1970 at Ft. Knox, where I was stationed after Vietnam. I learned on a Par 3 course and had a good friend, Bob, who was in Vietnam with me teaching me the basics. He had his work cut out for him since I was left-handed and he was right-handed. I bought a small set of clubs and a red bag. I don't remember what brand of clubs I had, but I can vividly see that bag.

I progressed to the regular course at Knox that year. I remember one early hole was close to the gold repository. If you overshot the green to the ball would get close to a wire fence that marked the off-limits area surrounding the building and grounds. Of course, if you hit it over the fence, then you had to take a penalty shot - which I did sometimes.

In 1971 I was sent zx to England for about 14 months to a British Armour school. I took my clubs with me, but I am not sure which clubs they were. Sometime during the period from late 1970 to 1973, I bought a good set of Ben Hogan clubs and a very nice bag. I either bought it at Ft. Knox before I went to England or once I got to Germany in 1972. I think I bought it at Ft. Knox.

Anyhow, I played with them until about 1980 when I sold them to a gentleman who worked in a bank in Newark, Delaware, where I was assigned to the University of Delaware  ROTC department. I had been running by then for two years and decided I was never going to golf again.

Little did I know but I decided to take it back up again in 1986 in New York when I was assigned to a Readiness Group in the Finger Lakes. It was a cheap set again with a cheap bag. I used it until I bought a fourth set - again, a nice set and bag - when I retired and moved to New Jersey.

I don't have it anymore. I haven't played in several years -  maybe eight or nine - plus I injured my rotator cuff about three years ago playing pickleball (which I don't currently play). But lately, I have been enjoying watching golf on TV. 

Maybe, I'll play miniature golf. Or maybe even Par 3 with rented clubs. Or maybe just buy a putter and find a putting green. But I can't play a regular game. Not anymore. Besides, four sets are enough. 

Anyhow, the PGA is coming in a few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment