Saturday, February 18, 2012

Laughter is Indeed the Best Medicine

I am slowly recovering from a terrible bout of GI problems that hit me Thursday evening.  Ironically, I was at my doctor's office that morning and he asked how I was feeling.  I told him I was fine and he mentioned that any of his patients were coming down with diarrhea and vomiting.  Maybe it was the thought he put in my head, but more likely the germs I picked up from his office that morning, or the docent training class I had that afternoon, of even the luncheon I went to on Valentine's Day.  I had not been around many people until this week since before New Year's Day.
Anyway, to get to my story.  Not feeling quite up to conquering the world yet after my morning ablutions, I decided to treat myself to listening to a weekly radio show on NPR.  It is called "Car Talk" and is absolutely hilarious.  It is two guys who take phone calls from all over the country - and Canada as well - about car problems: usually what might be causing the problem and how to fix it.  Okay, doesn't sound funny, I know.  It's these two guys, brothers - Tom and Ray Magliozzi - who broadcast from Harvard, Mass, and how and what they say.  They should be standup artists on the comedy stage, though if you read their biographies, especially Tom's, they seem to have been everything but that in their careers.  They are on 10:00am Saturday's and repeat at 11:00Sundays.  You can also listen to the online, just go to www.cartalk.com and check it out.  They also have a weekly puzzle - usually involving numbers - that is always fascinating.  Oh, and they seem to always get to the possible problem and offer useful advice. Check it out - you'll spend the hour laughing.  They always brighten my day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment