Saturday, February 27, 2021

Words - Calyx

 Words are amazing. I love studying the etymology of them. And I enjoy learning new words. One I recently learned was calyx. I came across this from a blog I follow - Adam's Apples. Yes, it is a blog about apples. All about apples. Anyhow, the calyx is the bottom end of the apple opposite the stem. This is where the apple blossoms. Here are a couple of pictures from his blog:


This picture is of the calyx. The blossom would have had to come from here. It's at the bottom of the core if you cut into the apple.


Around the calyx are a series of bumps. I think I read somewhere that there always five bumps, but will have to check that. Anyhow, they surround the calyx. And are called the crown. Interesting that the crown of the apple is on the bottom.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment