Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Ala Heart of Darkness

 I just completed reading a small book (172 pages) written about 1992 by a Swede who was traveling in Niger, Africa, at the southern edge of the Sahara Desert. He intersperses his diary-like inserts with a historical discussion of Europe's exploration, occupation, and destruction of the natives who resided there. He compares this to Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness novel written about the same time.



I have had it on the shelf for a few years, but only now decided to read it considering today's environment. It was a very disturbing book. But I am glad I read it. I think I will read Conrad again. And maybe watch the film, Apocolypse Now.

I will have more to say about this book, but not now. A little too raw in my mind.

The next book I should read? The Mind of South by W. J. Cash, written in 1941.

No comments:

Post a Comment