Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Current Reading

It's almost the end of the month and time for an accounting of my reading. You say, "I didn't know this was a regular thing you did." Well, it hasn't been. I have thought about several times, but for one reason or not - or for no real reason - I seem to never get around to it. So I think I'll give a wrapup of what I have been reading this year, and what is currently in store for the next few months.

Right now I am reading two books for my book club. They are for the September and October sessions. Incidentally, I just completed August's selection, The Lost Painting by Jonathan Hart. I am the discussion leader and have already sent the discussion questions by email to the other members of the group. In one sentence or so, it's the story of a Caravaggio painting lost for hundreds of years, then discovered and repaired. It's a better book than I make it sound. I've read it twice and I will probably sometime read it again.



Getting back to the books I am currently reading, the first one is A Great Improvisation by Stacy Schiff. I was not the original person to lead the discussion on this book, but the person who was had to leave the group because of an ongoing conflict with another activity that he is president of and must be there. The book is about Benjamin Franklin's time in France during the Revolutionary War. I find it very interesting, though the writing is tedious oftentimes. 



The second book I am reading is The Wordy Shipmates by Sarah Vowell. It's about the Puritans who came to America in the ten years after the Pilgrims did in 1620. I am surprised by the heavy religious theme of the book, but I am finding it interesting. I guess I shouldn't be though, really. 



More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment